Saturday, March 7, 2009

YOUNG WRITERS - SENIOR'S SECTION - A WALK OF LIFE


NAME : Nathaniel Lau (13 years old)
PHONE NO : 012-8776995
STORY TITLE : A walk of life
EMAIL :angel_angelus_niel@yahoo.com

Hello dear readers, my name is Nathan. I am already dead but nevertheless I am granted to tell you about my life. To those who are reading this, I welcome you to follow me in my footprints through life. I shall reveal all my past secrets to you as I have no use for them anymore. In the beginning of my life, I never existed nor knew of existence until that fateful day. It is now, perceptive readers, I bequeath my history to you.

In my mother’s womb, I felt so warm and full of life as I began to take shape. Though it was dark, I realized that I had an angel protecting me. Her voice was very relaxing and sweet so I am not afraid of the dark anymore. I was never lonely because my mother would rub her belly and talk to me. In reality, my mum was in the hospital with my father. The whole day my parents would talk about what was I going to become and what was I going to look like.

All of a sudden I heard of the word, “abortion” coming from the next room. The horrible, screeching voice of another baby in the other room was crying. Somehow my little angel enabled me to hear other baby thoughts and I became very curious about the meaning of abortion. In curiosity I asked my little angel the meaning of abortion. The light from my little angel dimmed and I could see his face. He smiled at me and closed my eyes but I refused to close my eyes until I had an answer. My angel tired to close my eyes but then I still refused. Finally, I gave up and fell into a deep sleep. I did not know that the warm water started to drain from my mother’s womb. After a while, I woke up and found myself in another world. The new world was bright and noisy but I tried hard to find my little angel that was with me in my mother’s womb. At last my angel appeared beside me and gave me a word of advice, “Never fall into the sins of the world, never take things that are not yours, Listen to your parents and always listen to God.” I had no idea of what it meant but then he disappeared and I never saw him again. I still wondered what happened to the baby that was crying and where the baby went?

Alas, time passed and I came to understand the meaning of love from parents. “This new world is better than my old world which was full of dark and soundless.” I thought, Now I’m in kindergarten, I was very shy because this was the first time I attended a place called school. Soon I realized that learning was fun because our teachers were very intelligent and creative. I soon made friends with other kids like me and we were always chatting with each other. There was a young boy, slightly taller that I was and was very smart in arithmetic who became very best friend. His name was Lawrence and both of us always helped each other like dealing with homework. We became very close and even excelled in class together; I realized that through friendship we could overcome many obstacles. This friendship lasted for seven years until we entered secondary school and became teenagers. From then, our relationship became very loose and we never communicated with one another. Going through the life of a primary school kid was hard but as a teenager it was even harder. All of my academic achievements were average but still unsatisfying to me. I became aware of pollution around the world and I had the spirit to stop it but I realized that without knowledge I could not do anything. Pollution is a deadly virus that threatens the world and all of mankind but ironically it was mankind who stared the pollution. I felt very useless because of my disability as a student to contribute to the world but then I came to know about the legendary Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. He had the largest passion for wildlife and I admired him. I read his biography and the achievements in his life and this made me realize my desire, to be a conservationist. Coming to the age of 16, I was chosen to be a school prefect and I was very delighted to be chosen. I had to ensure all sorts of grueling activities from my senior prefects but I ignored them and strove for success.

After a few months, I achieved one of my goals and that is to be a prefect for my school . This enhanced my ability to speak in front of many and sharpened my skills of multitasking. Now, life was never sweeter because we must endure hardships and problems. I found a quote that was suitable for me and my friends on how to live which was written by the famous Bruce Lee, “Willing is not enough, we must do. Knowing is not enough, we must apply/” Being a teenage was a stage where children become slightly mature and more rebellious but to me I was not a hippie. Going through the 5 years of life in secondary school was an un forgetful stage but time stops for no one. Finally, a school lever I became and began to pursue in my dreams. Then I paused myself one night and began to recall of my childhood. I still wondered where the little angel had gone.

Coming to the age of 39, I worked as a businessman and open up many facilities like the zoo, recycling centers and even a counseling center. It was in my prime life but my heart ached for the love of another. Recently I tried to woo several ladies but I ended up getting a slap in the face each time. “Was love never meant for me?” I wondered but then I noticed a very beautiful woman. I was in the office and I saw her coming into the building with a suitcase. Immediately I fell in love with her, but when I tried to get to know her, she called out my name. Shocked and feeling very uneasy I approached her and gave her my usual introduction except I had new pink blotches on each side of my cheek. She introduced herself and immediately I realized that she was a childhood friend of mine. I recalled the moments that we shared together as kids running around the park with her pet dog named “Sui” and sharing an ice cream together. Before meeting her, my partner in business tried to tempt me into having a one-night-stand at a local prostitution center, but the words of the angel rang in my head loudly and I rejected the offer.

Finally I found the person I yearn to love forever in mind, heart and soul. As we got engaged, I had a flashback to my youth as a school prefect, to the moments I had with the perfect board, all the times I spend with my friends together in studying and doing odd jobs for the teachers. Now, I learned the lesson of true love as I married my childhood friend.

Lo and behold time passed like a blink of an eye as I reached the age of 97 and I had many great grandchildren. Never had I been so happy in my life with so many of my future generations. Having accomplished so many things in life I decided it was time for me to leave this earth. One night, a little angel visited me in my hour of death. It was not the angel of death but rather the same angel that guided me in my life. As a religious husband and devoted to the religious life, I died with my beloved wife together in peace. The moment my soul left my body, all of my children and grandchildren came into the room and tried to save me but in vain I had died a peaceful death. I never realize that dying peacefully involved no pain at all.

Now, my readers remember to always be careful with life and the natural world. Till the next time we meet, I would like to return to heaven with my creator.

“Love is like a bed of roses, there are many thorns. The path to romantic love lies in learning to avoid the thorns, while enjoying the roses.”

No comments:

Post a Comment