Monday, March 9, 2009

SOSWE'S NEWSLETTER ISSUE 57/2008 - JULY - SEPT 2008


EDITORIAL

As the days passed, we find that there are actually things which are beyond our control. Every day is a challenge to us. For those who faced death, life has to go on. For those of us faced with financial crisis, we just have to keep going.

I remember what my father used to tell me a story about a sparrow who tried his best to do simple things that may seem impossible.

It was a cold and windy day when the farmer came upon this sparrow lying on its back in the middle of his farm. He asked, “Why are you lying upside down like this?” The sparrow replied, “ I was told that the sky is going to fall today,” The farmer chuckled, “ So, you think you can just hold your little legs up to stop the sky from falling ?“ The sparrow said, “I just do what I can do to my capability!”

This story held special meaning in my life which I passed on to my daughter. It is true that whatever we do, we do the best we can to achieve the best.

I often find that many talented people are far too busy because they have to keep up to their schedule and want to increase their popularity. There are people who are less talented but with the little things they do behind the scenes are the best things that cannot be seen, because they are not known to others. A pastor once said, “Your good deeds will only be known when you are no longer in this world. The result can be seen by the number of people who attended your funeral.” That is true when more than 400 people attended my late brother’s funeral. He did little tasks for the people on the street.

The month of July has many charitable events; one of them is the Dance humanity, a charity organized by the Red Crescent, Miri Chapter. People in Miri are very supportive of charitable events.


In the month of September the State government has been charitable too. SOSWE received a grant of RM 5,000 for our 1st publication of articles written by members. The process of editing is under the charge of our dedicated member, Florence Enau.

The 3rd Quarter articles are as follows:-
 LOCAL INTEREST - Hari Raya by Jennie Soh
 LOCAL SHARING - Book reviews by Molly, Judy and Helen
 MEMBER’S CONTRIBUTION - The fear of growing old by Matthew Sim
 SENIOR SECTION - Life’s like that by Leigh-Ann-Bong (13 years old)
 JUNIOR SECTION - My Great-grand mother’s Funeral by Tien Eu Min (10 years old)

Wishing every one a SELAMAT HARI RAYA and Cheers!

EDITOR

No comments:

Post a Comment