Friday, March 6, 2009

YOUNG WRITERS - JUNIOR’S CORNER - L-O-S-T


NAME : Lim Paulin
PHONE NO : 012-8732818
TITLE : L-O-S-T
EMAIL : lp5678@gmail.com

“Hurry up!” A voice boomed.
It was a bright, sunny Saturday and Father was bringing us to visit Uncle Rodney and Aunt Fiona, who lived on Fraser Island. I brought my friends, Jacqueline, Sharon, Geraldina, Jason, Lydia, Teddy and Lea so that I wouldn't feel lonely. Last night, we all took a plane from Malaysia and flew to a small town in Queensland, Australia, where we stayed overnight.

Now, it was very early in the morning and we all had to take a bus to Honey’s Port, where we borrowed a motorboat and sailed off to Fraser Island.

“Hurry up!” My father’s voice boomed once more.

We had just woken up from sleep and we still were in our hotel room.

“Daddy, what time is it?” My little sister, Mei Lin yawned.

“We have to get up now, Uncle Rodney’s expecting us to arrive soon and you wouldn't want to be late, won’t you?” Father said again.

I forced myself out of the bed, and went into the bathroom to wash up.

When everyone finished, mother advised us to check our bags to see if there were any belongings left behind.

That was when Jason let out a squeal. “What’s the matter?” Jacqueline snorted. Jason is her brother and the silliest one of us all, so he often squeals.

“My sunglasses! Oh no, I left my sunglasses!” Jason yelped.

“Get it, then!: Teddy grumbled.

Jason burst into tears, “You don’t understand!” He screamed, “I left it in the aero plane yesterday!”. Everyone groaned. Then, Father checked his watch. “Well, it’s in the aero plane; so we can’t get it”, he said. “Now, let’s go, shall we?”

My friends and I nodded.

We arrived at Honey’s Port Sorty minutes later. Everyone was stunned to see a beautiful sunrise on the horizon. As we watched the sun rise, Father walked toward us.

“I have the boat now”, he spoke, “so why not we all turn back, walk forward and go?” We all obeyed. Father could be a little cranky sometimes.

We all strolled towards the port. A big , shiny motorboat was waiting for us, boobing up and down on the surface of the water.

Jason looked at the bobbing boat. “ I think I’m going to be sick”, he turned pale.

“Well, I think you’re wrong.” Lea snapped. “The temperatures not “so” overwhelming and the seas are calm. So let’s board!”

Everyone climbed into the boat. It wasn't so squeezed up, so we were all comfortable.

“Daddy, are you sure you can sail?” Mei Lin asked.

“Yes, yes” Father replied proudly,” so don’t you worry, we’ll just cross over Hervey Bay and that’s it!”

Jason started to make funny coughing noises. “Ahem, ahem, I think we should reconsider the idea.” I think we should reconsider the idea.” He blurted.

“What’s the matter, are you insulting my dad?” I asked.

“No, its’ a tsunami or a big whale? Our boat may overturn and we will .....” He did a ridiculous action of drowning.

“Shhh, boy!” Father growled. “You’ve caused a delay, you know?” He pushed the accelarator and the engine revived. And we sped off into the blue.

WRROOM .... WRROOM .....

I woke up from my sleep. Was it a dream ? I turned my head and I saw that we were on a boat, speeding across the sea. I could see some land in the distance.

“Almost there!” Father’s voice sounded, just fifteen kilometers away .......

“Actually. It’s seventeen”, Lea interrupted, holding a map.

Lea is a math genius. He knows almost every method of algebra, calculus and arithmetic. If I had problems with maths at school, Lea would be the one to come to my rescue. His best friend, Teddy had a brain of a businessman and a con man as well. Scramming was one of Teddy’s hobbies.

Soon, we reached Fraser Island. We tied our boat to a deck in the coast of Lake Mckenzie. The view as so captivating, with light blue summer skies, per winkle-blue sea and the colorful flora of the island.

Then, a small fat man ran towards us. It was Uncle Rodney.

“Rodney!” Father greeted him happily, “ Long time no see!”

Uncle Rodney had fluffy, snow white hair and a big mustache. He was small, but Lea thought he weighted a ton.

“And there are your friends, eh?” Uncle Rodney chuckled.

I replied “yes”, and introduced my friends to Uncle Rodney.

Uncle Rodney chuckled again. “Very cute”, he grinned. “Now, let’s go to my house! He added, “Flona’s preparing her special mushroom pie for us. So, let’s not keep the pie waiting!” “YEAH!” Jason said happily. “Food, at last.”

We walked through a jungle. In a clearing, we could see a little cabin. Next to the cabin was a tiny farm.

Uncle Rodney scooped up a chick and handled it to us.

“Say hello to Chicky”, he chuckled.” He hatched yesterday. You can help me at the farm later.” Then, he led us into the cabin. Aunt Fiona, a skinny woman with long, dark , curly hair was washing the plates in the kitchen. She beamed and rushed towards us to give a hug.

“Oh, I missed you so much!” She smiled. “ If you’re hungry, there’s some mushroom pie and potato salad on the dinning table! Go and have some!”

As soon as she said that, we raced to the dining table. An aroma of mushroom and flour wafted towards us. On the table, there was a huge plate of mushroom pie and potato salad. Everyone helped themselves.

“This is better than McDonalds!” Jason spoke through a mouthful of mushroom pie.

“Let’s eat!” Lydia said brightly.

After finishing up the feast, we went to the farm with heavy stomach. Uncle Rodney was feeding the chickens when he saw us. “Hullo!” He chuckled, “finished the pie and salad, eh? Now, let’s have some fun!”

He handed us a bucket of seeds. “Feed the ducks, will ya? He said cheerfully. We had fun feeding Uncle Rodney’s ducks. There were about twenty ducks at the farm. As we were about to leave, we herd a squeal and saw Jason running around, as three angry ducks chased him.

“Ow! It bit me! Oh no!” He screamed.

“Look at Jason!” Sharon laughed.

“Silly boy”, Jacqueline shook her head.

Then, Uncle Rodney walked towards us with a basket.

“Hey, kids, why don’t you help me to pick raspberries in the forest?” He asked.

“All right”, Mei Lin answered.

“We can eat on the way .....” I heard Teddy whisper.

Then, we took the basket and set off into the jungle.

The sun was starting to set. And we were still in the jungle. Our baskets were dull of red, juicy berries.

“Oooh, do you think Aunt Fiona’s going to make raspberry pie? “ Geraldina said excitedly. “I hope so”, Teddy’s stomach rumbled.”

“Well, we had better go home first, Lea said, “It’s getting dark and we don’t have a torch.”

Then we reached a crossroad. It was odd. I didn't recall reaching a cross road when we went into the jungle just now.

:All right, which one?” Jacqueline asked. “ I think, right” Jason suggested.

“How can you be sure?” Sharon demanded.

“Hurry, guys...” Geraldina said.

Then, suddenly, an eerie howl pierced the silence.

“HAA AAA - WO OOO OOOO ........”

“Jason, was that you ?” Mei Lin asked.

“Who said?” Jason snapped, “ I ‘m not an animal.”

Lea’s face turned pale. “Oh no! He clapped a hand to his head, his eyes wide.

“What?” We all asked.

“This might be silly, but do you know about dingoes?” Lea said, his voice frantic.

“Yup!” Jason answered and started to chant; “ D-I-N-G-O! D-I-N-G-O! D-I-N-G-O! Dingo was his name, Oh!”

Teddy kicked him, “Shh!” He snarled.

Lea continued, “Well, many animals live on Fraser Island....like flying foxes, possums, mocking birds....but among them are dingoes.” He shuddered and went on. “ In April 2001, a boy was killed by a dingo when he was wandering in the woods here.”

Jason squealed. “Are you saying we’re going to see the boy’s ghost?” He gasped.

“No!” Lea snapped, “Dingoes are related to the dog. They look like wolves, but they’re smaller, they’re not so hairy and they’re light brown in color”.

Jacqueline’s eyes widened. Lydia, Sharon and Geraldine screamed.

“Let’s go home! Now!” Mei Lin cried.

We ran into the jungle, tearing through trees, jumping over tree roots and crossing tiny streams. As we neared Uncle Rodney’s cabin there was a growl. We spun around .....

Behind us, there was a HUGE dingo! It’s eyes glowed in the dark and its teeth were bared. We froze in shock.

“Oh, my gosh”, I heard Jason whimper.

“GRRRRR ....” The dingo approached us.

Mei Lin almost burst into tears. I stepped backwards slowly.

“Move slowly. Don’t run”, I warned the others, “ I heard that dingoes can attack if you run.”

We slowly stepped backwards. The dingo continued to stare at us, growling and baring its teeth.

Suddenly, three figures approached us. One of them was holding something long.

“Stay where you are!” A voice boomed.

Jason could not stand it.’GHOSTS!” We all shut our eyes.

Then, Jason’s voice echoed again. “We’re killed! We’re dead!”

A familiar voice rang through the air.

“Get up!”

I opened my eyes and saw Father standing in front of me. The dingo was lying on the forest floor, possibly dead.

“Are you all right?” I heard Uncle Rodney’s voice.

Everyone stood up. Uncle Rodney was holding a gun.

Then, aunt Fiona stepped forward. “Let’s go home.” She said timidly.

We all went back home. Everyone was shaken by the accident. However, Father was furious with Uncle Rodney for letting us wander off into the forest. But, everyone soon got over it and Aunt Fiona started making raspberry pies.

The next few days, we went back to Malaysia this time taking Uncle Rodney and Aunt Fiona with us. But after going shopping in a shopping complex, we found that Uncle Rodney was missing. We searched and searched and then Uncle Rodney stumbled out from a rack of clothes.

“I got lost.....” He said, “...In a Mall!”


Somewhere on the great world the sun is always shining, and just so sure as you live, it will sometime shine on you.

We have so much sunshine, share with others!


No comments:

Post a Comment