Monday, March 9, 2009

YOUNG WRITERS - JUNIOR’S CORNER - MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S FUNERAL BY TIEN EU MIN


My family and I were in Sarawak when we received a call from my aunt. When my mom answered the call, someone started screaming on the other end of the line. I thought a maniac was on the line.

But when my mum gasped and her eyes bulged, I knew something serious had happened, I soon learned that my great-grandmother had passed away. My mum explained that she had caught the flu and it developed into pneumonia. Soon after that, my great-grandmother passed away.

Soon after that, we had many plans changed and we were on our way rushing back to Kuala Lumpur. When we arrived in Kuala Lumpur, my uncle brought us to his house, since our house was rented to some folks. When we arrived at the house, I staggered in and vomited in the toilet bowl, because I get airsick.

While we were there, we had a family reunion and ate a huge meal of seafood and slept peacefully. During the next few days, we had some fun ands games, but I couldn’t get rid of the sadness in my heart. When the day of the funeral came, I felt grieved. I just sat down quietly while the pastor read the bible verses out loud. I also heard the sounds of people weeping and saw the sight of tear-covered faces.

Next, we rode a bus to the burial grounds. When my great-grandmother was being lowered in to the pit, I started crying loudly. After my great-grandmother was buried, I went back to the house with red eyes.

After a few more days in my uncle’s house, I went back to Miri and started Standard 5. I achieved many awards and received more prizes than in Standard 4.

After an entire year of stress and tension, I flew back to Kuala Lumpur once more. While in Kuala Lumpur, I visited my great-grandmother’s grave. While looking at her grave, I felt a mixture of happiness and sadness. As a Christian, I know that she is in heaven, watching me…

No comments:

Post a Comment